Screws can practically be life saviors. Broken screws can just do the opposite. On the one hand, when we practically swear upon screws to hold on everything, to remove the screw with no head, the process can get messed up. Not to mention, it is hugely time-consuming to fix that! If all these sounds familiar to you, then read along.
While drilling your screw inside, it got broken. Chances are there that it was brittle. Or maybe you have put in extra pressure. Let us check out some of the primary reasons why such problems occur:
Overstressing: Overstressing in anything does no good. These bolts may receive several kinds of stress, both internally and externally. Overstressing any of them may cause them to separate and break.
Pressure: While using a screwdriver, be it electrically or manually, putting too much pressure may cause its breakage. It is essential to keep the pressure under control, especially with the electrical drivers.
Corrosion: Exposure of the screws into incompatible substances such as oxygen, oils, etc. make the screws week and destroyed. These become more vulnerable and, in return, often break down.
Fatigues: The screws come with a specific life expectancy. Gradually as the year’s pass, they become more fatigued and hence more vulnerable towards breakage. Hence, it is essential to replace them within some period.
All these reasons add on leading to the breakage of screws, especially the head. Well, you might say, what possible issue could screw without head cause
- Damage to the material where its inserted
- Difficulty in extracting out
- Difficulty in replacement
- Covering them up always do not be seamless
- It may not be the correct place
Now the question remains, how to remove the screw with the broken head? Here are the top 10 tips to solve your problem.
10 Hacks to Remove Screws with the Broken Head with Ease
Let us check out each one of these hacks in detail
Use a Screw Extractor
Have you ever noticed that screw extractors have left-handed twists which are opposite to the screw twists? Well, that is precisely what we are a technique we are going to use! Finding the perfect size of the screw extractor is exceptionally crucial. Once found, attach them to you drill machines and set them in reverse mode. The screw extractor would drill in the screw in reverse and hence get it out.
Drill it Out
Your screw drillers can be handy to remove screws with the broken head if you choose to use them wisely. If the screw has not gone too deep inside the material, remove the drill head, and attach it to the screw. After that drill it out, it should not be of hassle if the screw has gone way to inside, its time to drill a pilot hole to remove the screw. While this may be a bit destructive, doing this may not be the worst-case scenario.
- Ideal for drilling through or screwing in wood, metal, and plastic, soft grip handle provides added comfort during use
- The lithium ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months
- 30 accessories include drill and screw driving bits, nut drivers, and magnetic bit tip holder
- Kit also includes one 20 volt lithium ion battery and charger; Uses: Drilling through wood, metal, and plastic, screw driving though wood, metal, and plastic. RPM: 0 650 rpm
- Chuck size: 3/8 inch; Clutch setting: 24; Included components: LD120 20 volt max Lithium drill/driver, (1) LB20 20 volt max Lithium ion battery, (1) LCS20 charger, (6) brad point drill bits, (10) 1 inch screw driving bits, (9) 2 inch screw driving bits, (4) nut drivers, (1) magnetic bit tip holder; Power source: Cordless
Rubber Band to Rescue
If you happen to have an elastic rubber band, then probably this might be the best hack for you! Make sure you have a rubber band whose band is wide enough to cover the screw area. Drive-in your screwdriver putting the rubber band over the screw hole. The elastic band will fill in the remaining space around the screw and make the grip extremely tight. After this, slowly drive the screw out along with the rubber band. In this process, be careful of not losing the grip of the rubber band.
- 8 inches is the relaxed flat length. Ultimate elongation is up to 5 times the flat length.
- Rubber bands stretch well, and hold well. Thick enough (thickness- 0.06" width- 0.157") so they won't break when under proper pressure.
- These large size rubber bands are awesome and so perfect for moving,files, garbage can, litter or trash boxes and corrugated cardboard.
- Elastic Bands are made form high quality material which provides durable and totally reusable features.
- Quantity: come with 60 pieces at least large rubber bands in dark yellow, rich quantities can keep a long time of usage.
Variety in Screwdriver Size
We often try out complicated hacks but miss some simple things out. If your screw has at least one percent of its head left, the chances are that a different size screwdriver can be the rescue. Play around with the smaller sizes and find the perfect fit into the screw head. Be careful not to damage out the remaining piece of the screw left. In the end, screwdrivers can be the saviours to remove screws with a broken head.
- Updated with a piece of triangle plectrum, plastic opening tool and a bit for disassembling the mainboard of iPhone.
- 57 different bits elaborated by Syntus to repair smartphones, tablets, and PCs including iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro, as well as gaming consoles and controllers from Nintendo, PlayStation, or XBox.
- A flexible shaft is included, which is perfect for electronics where the shaft is hard to get.
- Multi-magnetic driver makes it easy to fix bit and pull screws out.
- Press and Push design enables you to take out bits to save from needless hassle.
Screw Extracting Pliers
If your screw head has not sunk deep inside the material, then maybe you are not that screwed! Often the screws which are above the surface or just not too much inside can be pulled out using a pair of pliers. Just attach the plier to the screw tightly. Make sure to have the full grip, or else it may again come out broken, worsening the condition. Pull out the screw using the help of the plier. Screw extracting pliers are specially used for this purpose. Once you get it out a bit, the rest can be done using a screwdriver to avoid further damage.
- 💪Quality Material: Made of high carbon steel, they are well constructed. Vertical and horizontal design concave shaped jaws with serrations, our screw extraction pliers make it so easy to screw out different screws.
- 💪Professionally Made For💪Specially Made for Some Troublesome Screws. No more stuck with some stripped/rusted/corroded screw or rounded nut. Our screw pliers make repair work easy, get the screws out even in the confined spaces with ease.
- 💪Our Advantages💪Some common pliers only have the horizontal groove, but ours not. With special treated groove, it could grip the rusted screw and get it out easily with out slippage.
- 💪Easy Screw Out Mechanism💪 Sided round holes are for screws of different specification and easy job to get the screws out! No more rusty, stripped, damaged, jammed or tamper-proof screws, our pliers can do the job with remarkable ease.
- 💪QUALITY AFTER-SALE SERVICE💪 If you do not satisfy with our products or if you have any questions, please come to us. We would solve all the problems to your satisfaction. FREE REPLACEMENT or REFUND within 90days.
Use a Superglue
Even after all these, if the screw is still stubbornly stuck inside, then maybe you can give it another shot using the superglue without getting the area damaged. For this, drop two-three drops of superglue inside the screw head and then stick the driver with it. Let the glue dry. After its done, push the driver downward to ensure no loose grips. Slowly try rotating the screw with the driver. If the attachment holds on, drive the screw outside. Or else try repeating the process until the grip gets firm enough.
- ✅ PREMIUM ETHYL CYANOACRYLATE SUPER GLUE - LAB TESTED FOR OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: High performance industrial grade adhesive. Water-thin CA glue goes deep to infiltrate and stabilize through capillary action.
- ✅ EXTRA SUPPLIES: (2) applicator caps, (1) clog-free stopper, and a bag of micro-tips for precision. The extra applicator caps are in case of future clogs, the clog-free stopper has a tiny pin to prevent clogs, and micro-tips provide the perfect extension for tiny cracks.
- ✅ "WICKING TYPE" ADHESIVE: Great for woodturning finish, pen making, hobby, fossil prep, inlays, hardening, stabilizing, and bonding close-fitting parts. Penetrates the finest micro-fractures, pores, and cracks through capillary action.
- ✅ PROPERTIES: Viscosity: 2-3 cPs (meaning the thickness of the liquid is similar to that of water). Penetrating abilities of up to 0.002" in size.
- ✅ LONG LASTING SUPERIOR SHELF LIFE: Starbond CA glues have a shelf life of several years in the cold. Store the bottle under 40°F before AND after use to qualify for our 30 Month Shelf Life Warranty. If the glue does not last, we will provide a 100% refund or replacement.
Wood Plug Cutters
Suppose the screw is stuck deep down inside a wood piece, which is becoming impossible to remove, its time to get more destructive. Wood plug cutters drive in deep around the screw and extract them out, but they scrap in the surrounded area as well. So, if you do not mind a bit of destruction to remove the screw with no head, read along.
Place the plug cutter in the drilling machine and adjust it around the screw surface. Start scrapping down the area as the drill moves downwards. Continue this until the cutter has reached the depth of the screw. Remove it and clean it for any remaining scrap particles. Once it is done, the area of the screw is cleaned, and it can be easily accessed and pulled out using any device or the hacks stated above.
- This set includes 4 standard plug cutters and 4 four-tooth chamfered cutters.
- Chamfered Cutters Make Tapered plugs To Fill Countersunk Holes.
- Use Standard Cutters To Eliminate Imperfections In Wood.
- 8 Piece Plug Cutter set Makes perfect plugs for counter-bored holes.
- The Cutter set Achieves excellent finish when using same timber.
Weld a Nut
One of the best hacks to remove the screw with no head is to weld a nut at the top of the bolt. If the screw head is stuck so deep inside that you can’t pull it out with pliers, and you don’t want to cause much of destruction, this method may be useful if you have the required tools. It is essential to make sure that the nut is placed correctly over the threaded bolt and is of the correct size. Additional help can be received by welding it in high temperatures. This may help to loosen stuck bolts.
- The Product Is A Lug Nuts 12Mm X 1.5 Rh Open End W/Washers (5Pk)
- Easy To Install And Recommended Accessories For Your Vehicles
- Manufactured in Taiwan
- Included components: Automotive Equipment and Tools
- Tire/Wheel Equipment (8000)
Cutting Wheel in Dremel
Sometimes finding tools can be tricky. What is available and whatnot at the time of need can be a treasure hunt, so make use of all you have. If you happen to possess a rotating machine or Dremel, cutting wheel attached to it can make your job easy. Just place the wheel on top of the worn-out head and try to make a slit doing minimum damage to the surrounding. After that is driving it out using any screwdriver should not be a gigantic task. Make sure to wear protective goggles while doing this to avoid your eyes from getting hurt by any of the scrapings.
- RESIN CUT OFF DISCS – With low heat generation and thin cutting line, the cut off wheels are applicable to electric drills, hanging grinders, electric grinders, etc. They can be used to cut metal, plastic, chassis modification, thin metal circuit board and DIY production after connected with mandrels, and are ideal for olive cutting.
- HSS CIRCULAR SAW BLADES – The cut off saw blades are high speed steel and there are 5 kinds of outer diameters 22/25/32/35/44/50mm. They are suitable for cutting wood, plastic products, aluminum alloy, soft metal, etc.
- DIAMOND CUTTING WHEELS – The cutting wheels are made of high quality diamond. With high cutting efficiency, high durability, stable quality, etc., they are suitable for cutting gem, jade and glass.
- GREAT TOOL FOR DIY – Compatible with most power rotary tools. The cutting wheel set for rotary tool is suitable for cutting wood, plastic, gem, glass, aluminum alloy and jade. They are a great tool as well as perfect gift for DIY hobbyists.
- 100% SATISFACTION – If you have any problems, simply contact us and we promise an 100% satisfactory solution. You don't need to worry about returns and refunds.
While this process might get a bit tricky but not impossible if given a thought. The metal must be soft enough due to which the head got scrapped, and you must remove the screw with no head. The chances are that this property might work. Hammer in a screwdriver by placing the tool above the threaded screw head. Do it carefully to ensure proper safety. The screwdriver should be able to penetrate inside the screw giving it a firm grip. Once you are confident about the grip, try rotating it slowly without losing the grip and get it out.
- GENERAL USAGE: This Bastex 16 oz Curved Angle Fiber Glass Claw Hammer is the perfect weight for most general jobs. Home repairs,construction work, wood working, fence building, and general maintenance repairs. It is the perfect size,weight and feel to ensure a strong non-slip gripping action and swing balance to get accurate efficient results with each swing.
- DURABILITY: This Fiber Glass Claw Hammer sports exceptional durability with its heavy duty construction consisting of high-strength fiberglass handle protected by an impact-resistant poly jacket. In addition to this, added durability by using a permanent head-to-handle epoxy bond that will not loosen over time and use. A sharpened curved claw creates maximum nail-pulling leverage ensuring ease of pulling even with the toughest nails, reducing the risk of damage to the hammer claw.
- PRECISION: This hammer is designed to the perfect weight to provide for the ability to strike with precision. It's heavy duty construction combined with it light weight design provides for accurate pressure per strike with minimal effort. In addition, the rubberized shock resistant non-slip grip at the base of the handle prevents slipping during strike, thus reducing the risk of broken or bent nails from in accurate strike. Features an easy to use 11 inch handle with 13 inch total length.
- WARRANTY: 30 Day Money Back/12 Month Replacement Warranty Included!
Why Not Cover it?
While all these hacks can be handy, it is always better to cover up rather than remove the screw with no head unless it is essential. Try leaving it as it is and, instead, cover it up with some leveling or any filling material. This ensures proper hiding of the screw, making it completely invisible.
Which One is Best?
All these hacks may not be useful in various stages of the threaded screw heads. Here is a fundamental division regarding which one to opt for at what stage:
- It is above the base level: trying to remove it with the pliers, screwdrivers, or the hammer method.
- It is placed with the base level: Try using a cutting wheel or a super glue to get it out.
- It is placed bit inside the level: Try using a different size screwdriver.
- It is placed at a medium height inside: Try using the elastic rubber band for this height. Screw extractor would also o the job.
- It is placed deep inside the level: Wood plug cutters would do the job. If you do not want destruction, try out other methods alternatively.
These were the essential hacks to solve your problem of how to remove the screw with no head.