Also known as hinge pins or link pins, clevis pins are used in a wide range of applications, specifically to help secure objects that you don’t want to come loose.
They’re also commonly used as alternatives to industrial strength threading, a process that uses a needle to thread two pieces of fabric together. Clevises are most often used in conjunction with other fastening methods; they’re not the sole way to secure something.
But what exactly is a c-hook, and when might you need to use one?
Let’s explore this further so you can determine if this type of fastener will work for you or your business.
What is a Clevis Pin?
The clevis pin is a type of fastener that’s typically made of metal and is used to secure objects together. It’s a type of rivet, but instead of using a rivet gun, a c-hook is simply pressed into each object to be joined.
Clevis pins are most commonly used to help secure rope, but they’re also suitable for a variety of other uses. For instance, they’re used to help secure tents, boats, and other items that contain movable joints.
They’ve also found applications in home decor and other household tasks such as securing items like clotheslines and aprons to tables or walls.
Tips for Buying Clevis Pins
Before making your purchase, make sure to shop around for the best price and longest guarantee on c-hooks. They aren’t always available in every store, so you may want to ask your local hardware store if they have them in stock.
Inspect the Pins and Packaging
It is also essential to inspect the pins you’re considering purchasing, making sure they’re not bent or broken. Bent or broken pins are not only ineffective, but they can also be dangerous and pose a safety hazard. Inspecting packaging before your purchase is a great way to ensure that they haven’t been tampered with or damaged in any way.
Make sure you compare the quality of the c-hooks you’re considering purchasing. They should be made of the same high-quality materials such as carbon steel and stainless steel. If you’re shopping for clevis pins online, make sure to purchase them from a reputable online store.
Quality pins are also available in a range of finishes, including galvanized, plated, and electro-polished clevises. Prices may also vary from one provider to the other.
Clevis pins are an inexpensive alternative to industrial threading and industrial rivets. They’re typically fastened to one object and then pressed into another object, thus locking the two pieces together. Sometimes used in combination with other fastening methods, clevises are ideal for securing items that don’t need a lot of strength.
Benefits of Using a Clevis Pin
Some benefits of using c-hooks in fastening include the following:
- Durable – The pins are made of metal, which makes them durable. You don’t have to worry about the pins breaking or wearing out over time.
- Cost-effective – The cost of c-hooks is much lower than industrial threading. They can be used to thread rope and other items that are much more expensive to thread using threading.
- Quick and Simple – The process for using a c-hook is quick and simple. Oftentimes, there’s no need to use a special tool or equipment.
- Versatile – The pins can be used for a variety of purposes and can be used in a variety of settings. They’re not limited to just fastening rope.
When Should You Use a Clevis Pin?
Here are some instances when you might need to use a clevis pin.
- When You Don’t Need Threading: Clevis pins are typically suitable for fastening items that aren’t too expensive, delicate, or valuable. They’re not as suitable for items that require a lot of strength.
- When You Need to Use Rope: Some ropes are stronger than others and might not be suitable to be fastened using threading. A c-hook can be used to secure these types of ropes.