You may have heard the saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” This metaphorical phrase suggests that we should not be quick to judge someone or something by their appearance only. Product packaging design, however, is a completely different story. It is one of the vital elements when it comes to marketing and branding your product.
The design of your package depends on the type of product you’re selling. It should be able to protect the contents and include nutritional, storage, ingredients, and expiry date information, along with an eye-catching design. Here are some key reasons why product packaging and design are important.
When you plan to launch a product, there are some things you need to take into consideration when it comes to packaging:
- Protection: You need to ensure that the package will protect the contents and stop them from spilling or being damaged in transit. The attractive design will be in vain if the functionality of your package is poor.
- Information: When shopping, consumers may abruptly stop and look at the product based on its design. However, if they fail to locate information on the label, they’ll probably choose another and move on. Therefore, it is essential that the label provides easy access to information such as expiration dates, how to use it, the temperature it should be stored at, ingredients, and warnings regarding allergens that may be in the product.
- Design: The design of the box and the label should be created in such a way that attracts the consumer’s attention and makes them feel the urge to check it out. In this case, you should carefully select a logo that is unique, creative and displays your company’s personality. You can use a printed custom tape on the box that will allow you to customize your label to make it look exceptional.
Product packaging is a great way to expose your company and tell consumers who you are as a brand. It should be simple yet creative, piquing the consumer’s curiosity to want to know more about it. A quarter of consumers in the segment prefer eco-friendly packaging, while others are more impressed with high-quality materials. Packaging depends on the type of product you wish to sell, making sure the design attracts your target market and creates brand loyalty.
3. Sale Offers
Product packaging is one of the key factors that will either increase your sales or drag them down. Even if you offer a buy-one-get-one-free, if your packaging is poor, consumers won’t look twice.
For instance, if you’re looking to sell bathroom heat lamps, but consumers may not know about your brand, you can offer an extra bulb or a free service for them to purchase your product. Once you’ve stabilized and positioned your brand in the market, you can focus more on improving the packaging quality. It’s a strategy that you can use to increase sales when you’re new in the market.
All companies have one common purpose: to sell products and/or services and earn money in exchange. To do that, marketing plays a huge role. And your product packaging design is a vital part of the marketing campaign.
It’s simple! Consumers are attracted to products with good packaging designs. Even with a lot of television or social media advertisements, if your packaging design doesn’t appeal to the customers, they won’t buy.
Let’s say you want to sell special large-sized milk chocolates that consumers can give as a gift to their loved ones. When they reach the aisle, they see a lot of options. Which one do you think they’ll reach for first?
First of all, they will look for the type of chocolates they want (like milk chocolate). Then they think about the second option: packaging. Whichever packaging design appeals to them, that’s the one they’ll pick. Therefore, it is important to choose your background color, font color and style, price, and also taglines, if applicable, keeping in mind that the consumer will give it as a gift to a loved one. Of course, the quality of your chocolates matters too if you are aiming for brand loyalty.
Tips to Create the Best Packaging Design
- When deciding on the design, make sure your package can be easily opened.
- Study the market and other products and see what’s missing in their design that you can use to your advantage.
- Create an innovative and eye-catching design that will differentiate your products from similar ones.
- Ensure your packaging design reflects your company’s brand image and personality.
- Most importantly, your packaging design should be able to protect the product inside so it can withstand being transported.
- Nowadays with online shopping in high demand, you can include some freebies such as masks, sterilized tissues, and fun stickers. You can also drop in thank-you notes to make your customers feel more appreciated and encourage them to purchase more of your brand.
- You can ask your customers to make a video of “unboxing” your products and put it up on social media. This way, your company, and products will have more exposure in the market.
- You can also use eco-friendly materials for packaging to boost sales.
In a Nutshell
Product packaging design and branding are essential parts of marketing. Studies show that about 66 percent of consumers buy products based on their appearance. Innovative and attractive designs will differentiate your product from your competitors.
Your company’s image and brand should reflect on the packaging design to make consumers believe that your product will be of good quality.
Customers are attracted to the simplicity and also originality. It is the first thing they’ll see on the aisle, which makes the packaging design as important as the product itself. There’s no second chance to make a good first impression, so make it count!