Access to purified drinking water is a fundamental human right. Clean water is not just important for cooking and drinking. It is essential for other domestic purposes and maintaining hygiene around us.
What kind of water you drink and use is the most important factor to your health. The tap water supplied in our house may seem safe and clean, but it contains viruses, bacteria, and many other health-affecting compounds. Therefore, it is important to make sure that the water you use is always clean, sustainable, and free of unpleasant odor and taste.
This article will discuss 12 reasons why you should purify your tap water that will encourage you to invest in the best home water system available around you. Let’s get started!
1. Protects Your Health from Germs
Drinking water containing viruses and bacteria can cause serious health problems and diseases like dysentery, cholera, diarrhea, fever, nausea, vomiting, and stomach cramps. Immunocompromised persons, the elderly, pregnant women, young children, and infants are most at risk for becoming sick after consuming contaminated water. If you live in an area where the incident rate of these diseases is high, the most effective method to safeguard yourself is by using reverse osmosis water purification.
2. Decrease the Risk of Alzheimer’s
Excess amount of aluminum in drinking water is directly linked with Alzheimer’s Disease. Aluminum can be stored in your brain. Moreover, excreting aluminum is quite difficult once it is ingested. Therefore, it is important to purify your tap water to protect yourself from this potentially dangerous element.
3. Protects from Chlorine Consumption
Usually, chlorine is used during water treatment to get rid of harmful pathogens like bacteria. However, it is not good for your health at all. It can cause skin-eye irritation, chest tightness, birth defects, difficulty in breathing, and even various kinds of cancer. Therefore, to make sure your drinking water is chlorine-free, purifying it is a must.
4. Improves the Odor and Taste of Water
Drinking fresh and clean water with no unpleasant odor and a refreshing taste can have a great impact on your health and wellbeing. A lot of things can give drinking water a bad taste or odor. This could be environmental contaminants, chemicals used to treat and disinfect your drinking water, or metal that have been concentrated in plumbing pipes.
One of the most irritating complaints about tap water odor involves hydrogen sulfide, which smells like rotten eggs. Water purification can not only erase harmful containment, like organic and inorganic substances and soil residue, but also improve the smell, taste, and visual appearance of your tap water.
5. Removes Lead
Purified water should never contain lead. Increased levels of lead can produce serious health issues, especially for young children and pregnant women. It is the major cause of reproductive problems, neurological disorders, and learning disorders among kids.
6. Makes the Digestive System Strong
Are you suffering from constipation? Start drinking purified water, and you’ll definitely get some relief. It helps your body have regular bowel movements. When we consume water that is loaded with heavy chlorine and other harmful compounds, it affects our digestive system and leads to severe constipation issues.
7. Saves a Lot of Time
Every spare minute is important in this day and age. We all know that boiling water makes water drinkable, killing germs and microbes, but it takes a long time to boil then cool water to consume – particularly when a large quantity of water is being boiled.
Traditional inexpensive water filters in the market are also slow in filtering water. Moreover, these filters are not as competent as advanced water purifiers. Purchasing water bottles back and forth from the market is also time-consuming. Therefore, if you are someone who greatly values time, the best way to live a healthy, worry-free life is to purify tap water using an advanced water purifier.
8. Protects the Environment
The annual bottled water usage can be counted in millions worldwide. Over the last decade, the consumption of bottled water has increased by more than 10% a year.
Generally, people consider bottled water convenient as it is portable. However, this convenience comes with high environmental costs and health issues, like pollution due to the production of plastic, transportation, and extra use of energy and water. All this proves that bottled water can not be a sustainable choice for drinking water.
Drinking tap water is not just cost-effective, but it also cuts back on plastic to protect the environment. By purifying and consuming tap water, you can access clean drinking water directly in your house in an environmentally friendly way.
9. Improves the Quality of Life
By purifying tap water, you will have a continuous supply of contaminant-free, clean water that can be used for many purposes like watering plants, feeding your pets, making tea, coffee, washing vegetables and fruits, etc. Washing and cooking food with clean water helps to preserve the natural taste of food items.
Metals, salts, and harsh chemicals in water make your hair and skin dull with time. Use the purified water to wash your hair, and you will notice the change within a couple of washes. Purified water also adds a natural glow to your skin and makes it healthier and softer. All these can improve the quality of your life.
10. Save Money On Water Expenses
Once you start purifying your tap water for regular use, you will no longer need to buy costly water bottles from grocery stores. Investing in a water purifier at home will help you save a lot of money. It will allow you to purify water as long as it does not go out of order permanently.
11. Provides an Additional Layer of Safety and Security
Usually, water treatment plants of most industrialized countries are quite effective. However, our world is changing every day, and the purity of water has been declining with these changes.
There are increasing amounts of incidents where pollutants from air pollution, faulty or outdated water pipes, and pesticide residues mix with water after it leaves a water treatment facility and drastically changes the quality of the water we use as end-users. Also, weather conditions like heavy rainfall can cause damage to water treatment plants. Purifying your tap water will provide an extra layer of safety and security from these contaminations.
12. Makes the Air Quality Better
As contaminated water contains different kinds of harmful elements, when you use it at home, you ultimately give it more exposure to spread in the air by evaporation. On the other hand, using clean and purified water can improve the air quality around your home.
How to Choose a Home Water Purifier?
With so many options available in the market, you may get confused about which water purifier to choose for your home. You can determine which one is right for you in the following ways:
- Water purifiers are sized depending on the average total water consumed or used by your household on a specific day. Survey the daily water consumption of your family to determine what size water purifier would be suitable for your house. Also, if there is frequent electricity fluctuation in your area, purifiers with higher water storage ability would work best for you.
- When choosing a water filter for your house, the most important thing to know is what you are trying to remove. For example, if you have E. coli or coliform bacteria in your water, UV water purification systems will be the best to protect your home against these harmful microorganisms. Based on the contaminants and contaminant levels present in your tap water, a variety of other treatment options are available, including water softeners, sediment filtration, and more.
- Decide whether you want to treat all the water coming into your house or purify only the drinking water coming out of your kitchen tap. A combination of whole-house water filtration (UV water filtration for eliminating bacteria and viruses and a water softener for water hardness) and a reverse osmosis (RO) filter system beneath the kitchen sink for cooking and drinking water is usually the best solution.
- Some purifiers are built depending on the maximum water flow rate throughout your house. For instance, in the morning, there may be the dishwasher running, a toilet flushing, the washing machine on, and a shower going in your house. With all these running at the same time, find out the amount of water flowing through your house during these peak usage hours. This will help you determine what kind of purifier is best suited for your house.
The Bottom Line
Using or drinking contaminated water can cause serious health problems, and sometimes these problems can have long-lasting effects on your family. Water purification is a great investment in the environment and in your health and a brilliant way to lessen your water expenses. Educate yourself about the contaminants in your water, and take necessary measures to make your next drink cleaner and healthier for you and your family.